Monday, October 5, 2009

The flood came

As I sit here on my laptop with a warm mug of Coffee I am thankful. Thankful for another day. I lost everything in the Atlanta flood. I lost clothes, my shoes, pictures and everything few and far between. Yes I am used to recieving extravagant gifts, nice trips, expensive clothes and jewels but NOTHING could have prepared me for this!

When I bought my townhome 5 years ago, I was living the American dream. 3 years out of college I owned a HOME. It was mine! No man bought it for me, no man even contributed to anything and I purchased it on my own! I was so proud of myself! I had finally went from an apartment to a home! I painted MYSELF, Decorated MYSELF and eventually replaced light fixtures, kitchen items etc. I did it on my own! TOOK classes at Home Depot and Lowes! I was determined to be the epitome of SINGLE BLACK FEMALE!

Then it happened, I was out of town for the week for work. I was trying to fly back into Atlanta and I couldn't! The lady at the Delta counter said "Maam, I believe its major flooding and rain in Atlanta" I hadn't talked to any of my girls,so I texted a few to find out what was going on. My girl "Lisa" texted me and said "girl its a mess here, you need to get someone to check on your house" So I texted "Bear" in a panic he went to my house and responded with a phone call "Maria, your bottom level of your house is flooded" I stood in the airport with tears in my eyes. This did NOT happen! An hour later my flight boarded, I got my car from the lot and attempted to drive home. I couldn't even get to my neighborhood because there was severe flooding. I spent the night with Bear and only had the 3 suits I had packed from my business trip and 1 pair of jeans. The next morning I was able to get to my home.

Everything downstairs was destroyed..Water was up to thighs and my bed was covered in water. There was a window broken, and clothes thrown around. I am sure someone tried to loot my home, however got scared by the alarm. I never recieved a call from my alarm service.

I wept in "Bear's" arms and he said "Don't worry, I will replace it all" It never crossed my mind if the "things" would get replaced because truth of the matter is, I had faith in myself. I had DONE it all on my own, I could very well do it again. It was the fact that pictures of my grandmother and I in Cuba before she died were ruined, an antique stool she had given me was ruined as well. It wasn't the clothes or the shoes or the carpet or hardwood, it was the memories that couldnt ever be replaced. I packed up some of the clothes that could be salvaged and prepared myself for the days ahead. It has been two weeks and almost everything on the bottom level of my home had to be thrown away. There is still major work to be done and I know its only the beginning.

When people at my job heard of my lost, they gave me days off with pay that would not go against my vacation days, held a fundraiser for me and raised almost $3,000 and offered me so many things! I am truly grateful for them. People think I just "have" but I really don't. Yes I own a home, yes I drive a Range and a Benz but I pay for 3 kids to attend college, I pay the mortgage on my mothers house. I don't have alot of "extra" money lying around. My savings are all stored up in 401ks and Mutual Funds, Stocks and Bonds and IRAs. But I'm grateful for everyone especially Bear..

5 comments:

Te Te October 6, 2009 at 2:15 AM  

I am so sorry to hear about your lost. I too live here in the Hollywood of the South, and thankfully, no flooding came to my part of town. I seen on the news how much damage has been done and I was also driving thru sum flooded parts. It was really crazy how it just came outta nowhere. I hope you can get back on your feet and I would be happy to help you if you need any. I understand how it is to have so much responsibility of taking care of your family.

Anonymous October 6, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

Man I am sitting here reading your post and I can't help but to feel the emotions that come pouring thru in your post. I know a couple of people in the ATL who experienced tuff times in the flod and my heart goes out to you. I hope everything works out for you

Pana October 7, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

God will bless you. I am glad Bear is willing to help that's shows a lot. I hope i can have my affairs in order like that very soon. Very admirable. Love the blog I hope you post more. Everything will work out becaise God has a plan you never know maybe he will upgrade everything in your life after all you deserve it .

Unknown November 11, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

Dang mama , I am so sorry to hear about this. I understand truly. It was beautiful of the people to help out. I applaud them for doing so. It will get better mama :)

Enoma E February 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

SBF! You need to update!
Love your blog. it's so exciting and honest! Hope you continue soon :)

Love, Enoma